Monday, February 27, 2012

Getting to know DDM Students Series #003 - Ibrahim

After getting to know two Year 1 (2011 cohort) students for the last two issues, this week, we will peek into the life of a Year 2 DDM student -  Ibrahim Zubir!

When I was given his name for interview, I was told he is the current "poster boy" of DDM.  After viewing his profile at Facebook, I understood why - he looks so charming and friendly!  Seeing is believing.. check out his photos below to see what I mean!

Before coming to Singapore Polytechnic, Ibrahim studied Retail Management (NITEC) and Integrated Logistics Management (Higher NITEC) at ITE College East.   Woah, what a contrast from what he is studying now!

Ibrahim felt that both his courses at ITE have developed him well, "Through my Retail Management course,  I developed better communication and inter-personal skills.  I learnt how important it is to understand the customer’s needs and how to be a great sales provider."
"In Higher Nitec I took Integrated Logistics Management as I wanted to explore something new, and how this industry works. It is basically about business, how to handle goods, goods that are imported and exported and delivery through various transportation modes such as vehicles, ships and plane."

I got curious to see that his secondary school and primary school were both in the West - Hong Kah Secondary School and Yung An Primary, yet, he decided to enrol in ITE College East which is the opposite side of the island from where he stays!

Ibrahim explained, "I didn't mind the distance because ITE College East was then one of the newest campus during my intake.  The facilities was the best among others. I wanted to experience a new environment on the other parts of Singapore; also during that time, I wanted my school to be far away from home, so that I could have a little freedom. And the last reason was because of the interesting courses that the campus provides, with real work industry facilities such as 77th Street outlet in the campus, for our training sessions."

Wow, from how he described his educational experiences before he came to SP,  Ibrahim has a wealth of interesting stories to share indeed!


Next, I asked him these questions and here are the answers he gave:

Name three favourite things:
My three favorite are All Spider Man Movies, American Idol, and Music Band, MAROON 5.  My three favourite songs from Maroon5 are Misery, Goodnight Goodnight and Never Gonna Leave This Bed.



Ibrahim, how do you think your friends think of you and what do you think of yourself?
My friends think I am a sympathetic person and I agree. 

I guess they think I am so because I can easily understand other people feelings' and being concerned towards them when they are facing problems, especially my friends.
Personally i think i am an ambitious person
I always give my best in everything that I do till the very end in order to achieve a great result until I am fully satisfied. I wanted to achieve my dreams of becoming a very successful person
in future.

What are your favourite modules in SP?
After studying for 2 years, my three favourite modules in SP are DVDE (Digital Visual Design), DEAE (Design and Aesthetics) and VEFX (Visual Effects).

  • I appreciate DVDE because this module has helped me develop my skills of using Adobe softwares such as Photoshops and Illustrator. 
  • I enjoy DEAE (Design And Aesthetics) because it helps me explore all the different area in the media industry such as photography, graphics design as well as website design. 
  • As for VEFX (Visual Effects), I love this module because I love to edit videos and add cool effects to it. 


What is your CCA in SP?
I join the Photography Club. I learned some photography skills and tips of capturing different types of shots, we also did photography outing at popular places in Singapore such as Chinese Garden and took night photography at Clarke Quay to capture the night scene.



Ibrahim, can you share with us what are your strengths and weaknesses please?
I believe these are my strengths and weaknesses
Strengths
  1. Optimistic person, as i always think positively in whatever things that i do.
  2. Sociable, as I'm friendly and able to get along easily with everyone.
Weaknesses
  1. Easily distracted
  2. Spendthrift.  I spent a lot on shoes and apparel. When I see nice things, I will just buy them :)


I like his answers to this question  the most :)

Ibrahim, so who or what inspires you?
Hanagumori Digital Painting
I am inspired by
  1. Hanagumori Digital Painting by Diane Ozdamar
  2. Steve Jobs and
  3. Mr Leon Chua (SP Lecturer)

  • When I first saw the Hanagumori painting, it totally caught my attention right away. The painting really wowed me, as if it was a real person staring at me, haha.  I love every detail of the painting that the artists drew. Especially the character eye and the textures of the work piece.
  • To me, Steve Jobs is the reason why things are getting much simpler today in the technology industry. I believe his passion and dedication for work has made him to be one of the wealthiest and successful businessmen in the world, and I hope to be like him too. 
  • As for Mr Leon Chua, I remember how he showed us his portfolio and some school works that he did during his time. All of his works are very inspirational, seeing the work which he had done was way much better than most of us now. He always motivates his students, and gives honest and generous comments when we had consultation with him for our design work. Mr Leon is a lecturer who teaches his students with great passion.


If you can be somebody else for a day, who would you choose to be?
If I can be somebody else for a day, I would like to be Peter Parker a.k.a Tobey McGuire the main actor from Spider Man Movie. So that I'm able to use the spider-web to explore around the world and capturing great photos at the same time.  

Ibrahim, can you share with us some of your favourite photography works please?
My three favourite works are as below.
Paddy Field

Lady Knitting

Young boy by the roadside

No comments:

Post a Comment